Some Trash Talk



Going "green" is 
high up on the
priority list at
Sall Farm...

I'm always trying
to think of better 
ways to reduce
recycle 
and 
reuse!!



The favorite recycling
effort around here is 
the compost bin...

Recently I replaced
the "Folgers-Yuck-Bucket"
with a state-of-the-art
(well okay that's 
over-stating)...
anyway, more 
attractive
yuck bucket.






I didn't fork over the $35 clams
they wanted for the fancy ceramic 
and stainless steel model... instead I opted
for the practical (and cheaper)
simple trash can...
yes, I am very practical (cheap)
and I'm a sucker for anything red (and cheap)
and everytime I pick up the lid
it reminds me of Oscar the Grouch!




Even Oscar could not complain
about this handy little red can 
sitting there just ready to collect 
all of our yucky waste....

It's amazing how much green 
trash we go through...

All of the leftover leafy salads,
peelings of any sort,
coffee grinds, egg shells,
and all of those yucky vegetables
that get forgotten in the bottom
of the refrigerator drawer!



They all get collected in my new 
 compost can and then hauled 
out to the compost pile...

Grass clippings and dead headed flowers 
and wheel barrows full of weeds 
also get thrown on top of the 
kitchen scraps...

turn the pile a few times 
throughout the summer,
let it sit all winter. 
repeat the cycle and 
before you know
you've made some 
of the most fertile compost 
you can buy (no chemicals added)!!


New stuff on one side,
keep turning...
when its done,
I throw it to the other side.
See the nice black dirt at the top?

Now I need to take the nice 
black stuff and add it to the garden.
There are already weeds growing out of it....
Our totally organic neighbor told
me if you have lambs quarters growing
in your dirt that means it's very
fertile dirt...
that's what I have growing 
out my compost so it must be true!!

Composting is so easy to do
and the plants love it too!




Have a great "GREEN" weekend!
and
as Oscar the Grouch
would say,
"Now SCRAM!"
:)


Linking with Tootsie
come visit, you'll be glad you did!

Comments

TexWisGirl said…
hey, i'm all about 'cheap' especially when it works just as well as pricey. you go with your green-thumb green soul!
Michaele said…
So great that you are actually doing this. I keep trying, but any compost pile around my place suddenly becomes the most desired place for dogs and chickens. I will keep at it. Love your flowers collage.
Lisa,
What a wonderful post! Beautifully done, timely and most artistic.
Carol
Sharon said…
My compost went the way of all things, DH put the holes in wrong - maybe I need to do it your way!

Cute can!

Very nice collage!!!
Anonymous said…
Oh that's funny cause I use the red Folgers bucket as my yuck bucket too!
Jeanni
Tootsie said…
thanks for linking in this week. I am always in awe of all the different flowers everyone flaunts. It is a pleasure to tour and see all the gorgeous blooms...and I always enjoy stopping by here! I hope you will link in again soon!
(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´Glenda/Tootsie
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.

Popular Posts