I Need To Get Out More





....and I don't mean out to the clothesline!

When it comes right down to it,
I am a "home"- body!

I love my little place out in the
peace and quiet of rural America...

and if you gave me a choice of 
visiting the city or staying home to work,
I'd stay home!

But, lately the crafty bug has been
buzzing around my door...

I love to visit all the creative bloggers' sights 
and go there as often as I can - 
that's where I get to feeling "out of the loop"!

So...

Saturday, I left Sall for Sioux Falls...
Destination: Sidewalk Art Festival

I needed a refresher course in arts and crafts...
and boy did I GET IT....



hundreds of booths and a TON of people!!

It was pushing towards 90 degrees 
and there wasn't near enough shade...

Mom had to find a shady place to sit
while I ventured out to see it ALL!




Hand made 
Hand Made
everything Hand MADE!

Embroidered dish towels 
(nothing new, I have a drawer
full of those that grandma made!)

Someone's been busy, that's alot of embroidered dishtowels!



Hand bags!!  Lots of Hand-made Hand Bags!!
Lots of cute ones too, but $95.00???
I'll stick with the old one I have...
(maybe my sister will be sweet enough 
to give me one of her new designs:) hint,hint!)




Okay, so I'm definately seeing a trend here...

Junk!
Old and re-purposed junk all over the festival!

How do they come up with such cool ideas
for all this junk???




This booth had all kinds of the same junk 
I have back at the farm.
Hmmmm...
Note to self: clean out barn for future financial gain.





I do love all the crappy crafts though!!

Enough to go home and do some inventory...



After
A lot of looking...
a lot of walking...
some good sidewalk entertainment...


I left the festival with sweaty clothes,
a ton of ideas, and some good pictures for 
this blog post.

Not one purchase (darn)...
it's all a little too pricey for this tight-wad.
Not that I blame the vendors,
they put a lot of time and money into their wares,
and deserve to get top-dollars.
I would trade places with any crafter that 
could sit at home all winter and make and sell crafts
that would pay my bills!

Of course, that would mean I'd have 
to leave home....
Something to think about!

Comments

Debbie said…
i'm a homebody also!! i recently went to a wonderful craft show, no photo's allowed. i was so disappointed!!
barb said…
I love love love art festivals. I come home and want to do it all myself. You should have at least bought Sall a potscrubber!
JATunnell said…
I too have turned into a "home" body. Although I live in town, I have to force myself to go uptown and do the shopping.
I will go to craft fairs with my girl friends, they too enjoy crafts. We also created a "girl's night out". One night a month each of will host a meeting. We do crafts, talk, complain, gossip and drink coffee or wine. Finish it off with some good food and it makes for some great times.
I am also a homebody, but I do enjoy the art/craft fairs too--This one looks like one I would love to go too! But like you, I balk at the price and typically come away having bought nothing, but like you again, having some good ideas. You were lucky you got some great pictures, because many times they won't let you because they think you're a spy trying to steal their idea!
TexWisGirl said…
i can so relate to the homebody statement! i sometimes have to pry myself off the place to go to the feedstore or forage for food in town... :)

and i'm enjoying EW&F again today!
Sharon said…
I love the craft fairs, and yes, they seem to think they should get $12 and hour for 'playing'! I used to go for the ideas, myself! ;-)
Nancy said…
I did my share of craft fairs when my kids were younger -- and I have enough "stuff" here to make a million different things, so I would never buy. I guess it's good to get out with people... ?? Or not. :)
Karen said…
Looks like a lot of fun, Lisa! I am the same way, though, I love to be at home. We missed our local art fair a few weeks ago, it's always a good time to see what the latest trends are even though I'm as trendy as a pair of jeans and an old t-shirt can be. (Not very.) If Carl cleaned out our shed, he could make all sorts of 'stuff' to sell, too, lol, but the problem is actually 'selling' it. I know how much work is in those embroidered things too, how to put a price on it without giving it away?

Glad you had fun and thanks for taking me along to your craft fair.
LindyLouMac said…
I am so glad you paid a visit to the Sidewalk Art Festival and were then able to share it with us. I enjoyed my virtual tour, but would have loved it in person :)
Brian King said…
LOL! See, you've got all that stuff, already! Cool pics, Lisa! And I admire your self-restraint. :-)
Anonymous said…
nothing like a good art fair and local produce and wares on a cool Autumn day. My idea of fun! I even love the street fairs in NYC. :) I call my studio my "arts & crap" room.

Popular Posts