The Future of RASDAK


They couldn't wait!

Our grand daughters are here for their annual summer stay
at Sall Farm...
I told them on day one that we will be in town
doing a paint job at a Church for a while,
and a big Bicycle Trek is coming to Wessington Springs
on Thursday!!

All week long questions...
who is coming??  What day??
why do they ride bikes??
on and on and on


They spent their days in town getting to know 
the neighbor kids and getting to know 
the layout of the town.

I told them we were painting right across from 
the house where I grew up!
And how I rode my bike to the swimming pool
every day...

I must say it made my heart smile 
to see history repeating itself
in watching them screaming down the street
having the time of their life in my hometown!!



Every morning this week they race up 
to the donut shop to buy me a donut...
(also their excuse to go buy candy!)
After the candy and donuts quickly disappear
they're asking when the bikers 
are coming??

Well, Thursday finally came 
and we went out to greet them!



Eight miles out, the W.S. Volleyball team
gave them some hometown hospitality
and thought of everything a cyclist might 
need after riding 86 miles!! Whew...


They started streaming in around 3:00 p.m.
One, two, 4 at a time
down highway 34...





With another 8 miles to town yet,
they got some refreshing encouragement
and carried on...





it was a hot and grueling ride,
I can't imagine, after an 80 plus mile day
in 90 plus degree weather - 
dealing with a bunch of kids
for a Bike Rodeo...


But this brave guy did it.

Michael is a league cycling instructor 
and conducts these educational bike rodeos
for kids all along the RASDAK Route.


It WAS HOT!

But, he set up the course
and gave them a lot of great tips...



And they took it all in...



Thank you RASDAK and Michael,
you've created some future
cyclists that will remember
this fun summer experience the rest of their lives!




I know our Grand daughters wanted to
ride all night long...




I think if Grandma had a bike,
we would've been packing up gear 
for a ride to Woonsocket!!
(hint, hint, Grandpa!)

The helmets finally came off at sundown 
 and bedtime stories 
were about bicycle rides from Kansas City
to the Black Hills...




Follow your dreams,
Lisa

P.S.  Thanks to the Wessington Springs Ambulance crew for
the bike rodeo and the free helmets!

Follow RASDAK as they continue across the 
State of South Dakota on FACEBOOK!

Comments

Bonnie K said…
Your story brought tears to my eyes! All I can say is thank you for something perfect and beautiful. Why can't life always be just that simple. Thank you!
Karen said…
How fun! The grandchildren were having the time of their lives. Memories to cherish all around. :-)

Popular Posts